Update

First I tried creating a staging subdomain on my host server. That was pretty easy using some good resources online.

A problem immediately arose in that my host followed up the installation with a notice that I was seriously over my storage limit. I had too many photo galleries. I could have merely deleted some galleries, keeping a few to testing, but chose to create a local server instead. That way I wouldn’t have to pick and choose which photo galleries to keep for testing.

I finished creating the development server on one of my local machines and added my WordPress site to it. This was a major undertaking using XAMPP, WordPress 4.41, and transferring my WordPress database to the new server. There was lots of detail in this and it took a week, several hours a day of crossing the t’s and dotting the i’s to get everything working. I do have one small (I hope) hiccup to fix, but it doesn’t affect my testing of the development site itself.

Over the next few days, weeks, or months (depending on luck/skills)…

  1. I will customize the Twenty-Sixteen theme.
  2. Create a new menu system
  3. Add the NextGen Pro Galleries and Albums to the blog
  4. Then, back to moving stuff from the web site to the WordPress blog

Note: I’ve redirected the web site “www.hog-blog.net” domain to the www.hog-blog.net/wordpress subdomain. So, the web site is no longer available. You do not need to do anything but you might notice the “/wordpress” in the URL after entering “hog-blog.net.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *