Getting to the Trans-Labrador Highway
- Craters of the Moon National Park, ID
- Visited USS Morton buddy in Salt Lake City, UT
- Arches National Park, UT
- Independence Pass, Rocky Mountains, CO
- Pikes Peak, CO
- Visit with my Midway Island buddy Chuck and his wife Diane, Mukwanago, WI
- Something “wild and crazy”, a tour of the Jelly Belly Factory, WI
- Visit with Brenden, met him in Anchorage, Alaska the year before, Chicago, IL
- Visit with my USS Morton buddy, JC, aka “The Illustrious One”, Chicago, IL
- The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Cleveland, OH
- Niagra Falls, Niagra Falls, NY
- The Erie Canal, NY
- The Adirondack Mountains, NY
- Thoreau’s cabin at Walden Pond, Concord, MA
- Two of Jack Kerouac’s favorite watering holes, The Rainbow (Now Charlie’s), and Worthen House and his grave site, Lowell, MA
- Flower Pot Rocks, Hopewell, New Brunswick
- Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia
- Alexander Graham Bell Museum in Baddeck, NS
- Gander Loop, Newfoundland
- Cape Spear (eastern most point in North America) and Signal Hill, St. John, Newfoundland
- Viking Trail and Gros Morne Provincial Park, Newfoundland
- Red Bay, Labrador
Trans-Labrador Highway Proper
- We were often routed down soft dirt onto one-lane temporary bridges and back up into soft dirt.
- We competed with graters, often losing as they covered the remaining 12″ strip of packed dirt with 2-3″ of soft dirt.
- A few times we hit unexpectedly deep dirt of 12″ or so.
- One section of the road was covered with rocks ranging in size from golf balls to softballs which lasted about 10 miles. It was so rough the world was a blur unless I stood up. I broke a pannier on this section.
- As we approached Labrador City we were both caught off guard by what looked to be packed gravel but, was actually a thin layer of gravel over 1-2 inches of sand.
I compared each work zone to a carnival ride. You had a ticket but didn’t know what ride you were getting on.
Getting Home From the Trans-Labrador Highway
It was a long ride home as well. We had been on the road for 32 days so took a more direct route back via the Trans-Canada Highway.
- A UNESCO designated world heritage treasure, Old Quebec, Quebec City, Quebec
- Lake of the Woods, Ontario
- Terry Fox Memorial, Thunder Bay Ontario
- Visited my high school buddy, Bill and his wife Chere, Coeur d’Alene, ID